Friday, 21 April 2017

Retro Challenge 2017: Greg Hassett Adventures

I have finished porting two Greg Hassett adventures. "Atlantis" was ported from a Coco version. It was very buggy and the screen formatting was very weird. It also lacked save and restore routines. So I had to go back to the TRS-80 16K version and put them back in based on what I found in that source code. I have played it through using a walkthrough, so I hope it is pretty much bug free now.


I also ported "Enchanted Island." I used source from TRS-80 16K source. Working on Atlantis had prepared me well for Hassett's programming style, so this conversion went very fast.


After completing these two adventures, I realized from internal advertising that Hassett displays in them that he had set of adventures.
59000 R1$="TRY SOME OTHER GREG HASSETT ADVENTURES: JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, THE HOUSE OF SEVEN GABLES"
59005 R2$="KING TUT'S TOMB, SORCERER'S CASTLE, VOYAGE TO ATLANTIS"
These messages get displayed at various occasions, such as when your character reads a newspaper, or at the end of the game. I realized that I had previously ported the others. So I went back and fixed them up to use a common visual aesthetic (eg. solid line demarcating main messages from input prompt). Now I have a set of six Hassett adventures:
  1. Voyage to Atlantis (ATLANTIS.C10)
  2. Sorcerer's Castle (SORCAST.C10)
  3. King Tut's Tomb (TUTSTOMB.C10)
  4. Enchanted Island (ENCHANTI.C10)
  5. The House of Seven Gables (GABLES.C10)
  6. Journey to the Centre of the Earth (JOURNEY.C10)

The House of Seven Gables

Journey to the Centre of the Earth

Sorcerer's Castle

Tut's Tomb with my own intro screen
They can all be found on my distro: http://faculty.cbu.ca/jgerrie/Home/JG_MC-10_GAMES.zip

No comments:

Post a Comment